No products in the cart.
Somerset Pork Casserole with Cider and Apples
Enjoy a taste of the West Country with a flavourful pork and cider casserole full of delicious apples. After a day in the orchards, this would have been the perfect hearty meal to wind down with. Try serving it with vegetables and creamy mash for a tasty meal.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3hrs 30minutes
3 tbsp vegetable oil
2 onions, sliced
2tbsp chopped sage
1 bay leaf
1tsp dried thyme
40g plain flour
500ml Somerset Dry Cider
200ml chicken stock
1 Bramley apple, peeled, cored and diced
200g chestnut mushrooms
4tbsp double cream
- Preheat your oven to 150℃, gas mark 2, or 130℃ fan.
- Season the pork to preference with salt and pepper, and heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan on a high heat. Brown one-third of your pork steaks on both sides before transferring them to an ovenproof dish. Repeat with remaining pork steaks in two batches.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to your frying pan on a medium heat and brown your onions for 2-3 minutes. Add your herbs and flour to the onions, slowly stir in the cider and stock making sure not to leave any lumps of flour.
- Add the Bramley apple to the mix and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Pour the apple and onion mix over the pork steaks in the casserole dish. Cover and cook for two hours in your preheated oven.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for a further 30 minutes.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and stir in the cream, adjusting the seasoning to taste.
- Serve with your choice of vegetables or creamy mash. Enjoy!
Tip: This recipe is perfect for use in a slow cooker! Just make it up in the morning and leave it on low for approximately six to eight hours until you get a creamy and delicious casserole.
Discover: Delicious Pork Steaks at meatsupermarket to bring the perfect flavour to your dish.